Out Of The Way

I tuned out, I dropped in. I'm a naive, wide-eyed sell-out

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Me no Blog no Blog

I said some posts ago that I’m not a Blogger and wouldn’t continue to Blog. I have though. I broke my word.

The thing is, I do have a couple of problems with Blogging.

The first is a minor point. It’s a niggle. I read a lot of stuff and my eye sight is on the decline. There’s already too much stuff in the world to read as it is and I often get down at the thought of missing out on something wonderful by trawling through things that are just about OK. Blogs are just more stuff to read.

The second is the biggie and, actually, it’s only directed at a particular type of Blog which is derived from the most abused form of journalism: the column.

Done well, columns are great. “Ooh I hadn’t thought of it like that before,” or “how insightful” should be the response. More usual is “I don’t care”. The Guardian has taken the pointless column to a new level. Should anyone want to read how happy Alexander Chancellor is to live in Hammersmith (like a crumby, tacky town dropped into West London) or that Jon Ronson doesn’t like Rickshaws? Actually, I’m straying off the point and writing one of those columns myself. Back to Blogs.

No, you see, the worst Blogging is the “putting-the-world-to-rights” Blog. A certain fool called Duff writes one of these, regularly bolstering his smug posturing with ill fitting quotations from The Best Sayings In The World Ever Vol.2. But many more write them too.

Here’s the problem (and feel free to denounce me as a relativist) and it is probably THE problem: Everyone in the world thinks they’re a genius and everyone else is an idiot.

I’m always falling into this trap myself. I remind myself in all humility that I know enough to know that I don’t know enough and that I probably know nothing (I could quote a famous guy here, but there’s no point). But it only takes a second for my ego to creep in and tell me that knowing you know nothing puts one in a better position than thinking you know everything, therefore I must be a genius of a kind and ARRRRGGGHHH. Defeat.

So in an attempt to keep my ego down, I’m going to avoid writing the kind of Blog that solves the world’s problems, except to say that most of these problems are due to two factions, each of whom think the other is an idiot (or evil, to return to my last post).

Sorry if you were looking for me to secure a peace deal in Sri Lanka.

The other thing I won’t be writing about is my family. Except to say that I love them dearly. I won’t even tell you if I own hamsters.

In fact, I still consider this as a support site for Reidski. A satellite.

But first I need to discuss why I’m not a humanist, why I’m probably not a libertarian and then I’ll consider why this label from a big fat bearded Trot made some years ago has bugged me to this day.

Hey, this isn’t a fun Blog so far is it?

I’ll finish with a nice picture

6 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger lenguadefuego said...

interesting comment

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Voroshilov said...

Thank you for your kind words

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Reidski said...

Satellites are always more interesting than those who have assisted in the launch - great ideas coming across here (from you, not me). I have tried to adopt humility, but, at times, it slips and I come across as a right arrogant tosser - but I'm still trying!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Voroshilov said...

Yes, the Scotch people are very arrogant. I'll have to write a post about that to let people know the truth.
Hey, that guy at the top has a well dodge site.

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger The Fatalist said...

I an NOT a blogger. I just happen to put my thoughts onto a modern thing called a computer, which others can look at. People call this a blog. I call it my thoughts, and my on-line diary. Which is bollocks really because I've never kept a diary, & let's be honest...much as 'blogging' is good for sorting our own heads out, we're all comment whores at heart, so hopefully you didn't mind me posting here! ;-)

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Voroshilov said...

Fatalist, you are more than welcome here. I'm grateful for your comments and honoured by your presence. Genuinely. Cheers, man

 

Post a Comment

<< Home