Out Of The Way

I tuned out, I dropped in. I'm a naive, wide-eyed sell-out

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Man at work

As a prelude to my grand opus, Living in the South, I thought i'd just write about why I'm here.

Like many young upwardly mobile people I moved to London because I couldn't face the prospect of returning home after university and i thought the capital was, of course, cool.
I also wanted to be a film reviewer, and London is simply where all of the big magazines are based and all the screenings held.

You have to understand, though, this was the shoddy thinking of a young foolish man (not the shoddy thinking of an older young man, which this Blog is).

So, I came for cool, I stayed for work, but I often pine for home in the north west.

As a bit of back history, I didn't become a famous journalist but i did become someone who made a living from journalism which is an achievement in itself.

Now, I'm not strictly a journalist, but I do do vaguely creative things - the latest of which has prompted me to write this.

Here's going against the grain: I love my work at the moment. We're producing and editing World Cup goals and highlights for one of the big telcos. It's a big team of producers, editors and commentators, all of who are completely focused, committed and driven by the work.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but last night I sat at the editing desk with a packet of crisps, poised with me magic editing pen waiting for another goal and i thought "This is great. I am happy". Haven't felt like that at work for many years. And it's a sad fact of our world, but to be happy at work is to be blessed.

Yes, it'll end soon, I'll return to being a mediocre boss with a team who have finessed their "what are you talking about granddad?" looks, and having next to nil chances of promotion (I'm going to write about the strange experience of being a "boss" later).

But for the time-being, I am happy.

Yes, I am here in the south to work and work is good.

12 Comments:

At 2:53 AM, Blogger The Fatalist said...

Cheeky northern monkey! how can you pine for the north west (wherever that godforsaken place may be) when you're in the greatest city in the world! (With gods chosen quarter being Sarf Lunnon of course!) See how forward and European I am...who else refers to London in continental 'quarters'. How enlightened you must feel just to have me comment here!
Seriously though you are so lucky at the moment. Not neccessarily with your job, your location, your pay, whatever. But just to be contented with life at this very point in time. Not many people can genuinely say that. Enjoy!
Here's to stuffing Ecuador later today!

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Holly said...

I have yet to find a job I truly enjoy, my job at the moment makes me moody (not all the time) because its definately not what I want to do forever. I like to think its a stop gap before I can decide what I am going to do with my life.

But for the moment I shall plod along earning good money and saving so I can eventually "live the dream" - whatever that may be.

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Voroshilov said...

Aye, fatalist, you're right and I do count myself lucky. But i really do miss the north west, however much i love south London. I'm going to try to work out why in my next post.

Ah, Moo, I hate to come over all sagely and worldly wise (cos I'm dumb) but chase the dream not the money. The happiest I ever was in a job was working with Reidski earning a little over £10k, shopping at Lidl, dressed in ill-fitting suits from charity shops - it's been sell-out all the way since.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Thats just the thing though? what the is "the dream" I have yet to find what it is!!!

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand why you miss the north Voroshilov, the noth misses you too. Cities are nice places to visit, but I don't think anyone is supposed to live there. That's my theory anyway, where ever I visit I always enjoy getting home, breathing clean air and seeing the sky. I've decided that if I don't see 40% sky in my peripheral vision I start to panic. No one needs that.

As for happiness, you're a lucky guy, don't look to the end, just keep on enjoying it - it may never leave you.

Here's to France V Spain - Viva España!

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Reidski said...

My main man says sensible things here.

And his suits may have been ill-fitting, but they were also rather fetching.

And also glad you are enjoying your work - although I always loved the idea of you going over to CBBC and wearing a Tweenies t-shirt to work every day.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Voroshilov said...

I would've got in the full costume if they'd asked me. I'd have been Max, the elderly confused caretaking Tweeny. Or the dog.

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Are you lost for things to blog aboot?!

 
At 4:41 AM, Blogger Holly said...

hellllooooooooooooo

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Voroshilov said...

Moo, I'd like to pretend that there's been some earth-shattering event that has prevented me from writing anything, but the truth is I've just been pottering along.
I wrote two good blogs in my head about how I got into hip hop and how I got into cheap detective novels. My livin' in the south thing took an even bigger negative turn in my head recently when I realised I don't like my new neighbourhood (full of city workers) - so maybe that's what stopped me writing, don't want to come across like a bigot. Although I do like my neighbour, she's very nice. And there's a lady further down who's very pleasant but she's from Liverpool and that just underlines my thoughts. Come on people tell me I'm being an idiot.

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Reidski said...

Voroshilov, you are being an idiot!

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Idiot!! Only joking, hurry up with a new post...you're as bad as Reidski!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home